The American Indian Environmental Leadership Scholarship recognizes highly motivated American Indian students with a dedication to protecting natural resources, while serving future generations, their community, and the world. Alongside serving as mentors and advocates for the importance of education and community service, it is hoped that recipients of American Indian Environmental Leadership Scholarship will be leaders in the preservation and development of environmentally-friendly and socially-responsible infrastructure.
No separate application is required for consideration for the American Indian Environmental Leadership Scholarship, as scholars will be selected based on a holistic review of the University of Minnesota admission application.
- enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student in a degree-seeking program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
- able to demonstrate a desire to protect/understand our natural resources and
- environment for future generations and are pursuing a degree in an area of science and/or engineering as it relates to the environment, with priority given to students enrolled in the College of Science and Engineering;
- able to demonstrate financial need and academic merit;
- American Indians who are enrolled or eligible for enrollment in a federally recognized tribe; from the states of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin unless there are no eligible candidates in a given year;
- preference will be given to students in the following order;
– incoming transfer students;
– currently enrolled students in their third year of study or higher;
– incoming first-year students.